Which produce should you buy organic?
If you know me, read the blog, are a fan of Superwoman’s Handbook or fithealthyandbeautiful.com on Facebook or follow my Twitter, you’re well aware that I recently attended an event for woman entrepreneurs, called Rich, Happy and Hot Live.
Aside from illuminating the crowd in the expected subject matters of business, marketing and strategy, the program was jammed with messages on mental, emotional and physical health…and you know I was diggin’ that!
One of the speakers, Kris Carr (who you must find at crazysexylife.com) has been living with stage four cancer in her body for eight years. It’s a very rare form, only about 200 people are diagnosed with it every year, and aside from a triple organ transplant, doctors told her there wasn’t much she could do about it. Her response to this diagnosis was, “no!” And she’s made a mission out of living a crazy, sexy, abundantly healthy life, and teaching others how to do the same.
Since listening to her speak, I’ve been phasing dairy out of my diet, and literally drink salads for breakfast. (I highly recommend the Breville juicer by the way.) Green juice may freak you out at first, but I promise it can be delicious. No joke, I crave it more than coffee in the morning now! But I digress…
During her healthy homily, I wrote down “foodnews.org, clean 15, dirty dozen” but didn’t get around to looking up what that meant until today. Now that I have, I’m sharing the facts with you IMMEDIATELY, because although I knew we ingest some pesticides with our fruits and veggies, I didn’t realize HOW MUCH, and it’s quite alarming.
The Dirty Facts
- Pesticides can cause lasting damage to human health, especially during pregnancy and early childhood.
- I’ll make this simple for you, they’re unnatural and unwanted chemicals that we’re often unknowingly putting into our bodies. Now you know…
- I know organic costs a little more, but that’s just money, you can’t put a price on your health!
- Environmental working group research shows that people who eat five or more servings of fruits and/or veggies from the Dirty Dozen list below ingest as many as 10 DIFFERENT PESTICIDES DAILY!
- People who eat from the Clean 15 list, ingest fewer than 2, that’s way better!
- Both lists are for “conventionally grown” produce meaning not organic.
- DO NOT take this to mean you should not eat fruits and vegetables! My message is, if you’re buying non-organic, stick to the Clean 15 list. If you want to consume foods on the Dirty Dozen list, organic is a way better choice so you can avoid all those pesticides…yuck!
- Avocado (God’s butter…yes!)
- Sweet corn
- Mangos (Allelujah!)
- Sweet Peas
- Sweet Potato
- Honeydew Melon
Dirty Dozen (booooo!!!)
- Apples (makes sense, ever notice when they’re super waxy? yikes!)
- Bell Peppers
- Grapes (imported)
Numbers 8, 9 and 10 really hurt my feelings because I loooove them…but again, doesn’t mean I’ll stop eating them, but it does mean I’ll be buying organic moving forward. This is no joke FH&B fam, these are important foods that should be incorporated into your diet for balance, as they are chock full of nutrients, and antioxidants we all need. Please, please, print the list, hang it in your kitchen and be mindful of it when you grocery shop. Let’s live longer in abundant health 🙂
To download a much prettier version of this list to hang on your fridge click here: http://foodnews.org/
I love your comments, please do so below if this post was helpful to you.
I also love your promotion, feel free to click the FB share, or the Retweet and let your peeps in on the FH&B goods. As always, THANK YOU SO MUCH!Which produce should you buy organic?